Tuesday, July 6, 2010

"It wasn't a duty at all because I liked doing it."

This morning I watched the ending of an "All in the Family" episode with Carroll O'Connor as Archie Bunker and Jean Stapleton as his wife, Edith. When the episodes were originally aired, I did not watch them all that much and I still do not but the ending of this episode caught my attention.

Archie and Edith are having a discussion and Edith tells him (I'm paraphrasing), "Years ago when I got pregnant with Gloria (their daughter) Mama told me, "Edith, I see you are taking care of your wifely duties. I didn't have the heart to tell her that it wasn't a duty at all because I liked doing it."

I just thought it was too cute that the writers had goofy, zingy Edith have such a positive view of sex from the beginning years of their marriage.

When you see a show or movie that portrays marital sex that way, how does it make you feel? What thoughts come to mind?

4 comments:

Cocotte said...

I am always thrilled when a TV show or movie portrays women enjoying sex! That's what women need to see more of! Not the 'Everyone Loves Raymond' wife who acts as though it's a chore.

Gemma said...

It did my heart good to hear old Edith say that she always enjoyed sex in their marriage. Then she asked Archie if she had made him happy through the marriage. No wonder Archie responded by saying- Yes, that she had always made him happy... she was perfect. And there is a satisfied man and a satisfied woman. Edith was dingy but she was a generous wife in every way.

landschooner said...

Wow. This is taking me back.

"Boy the way Glen Miller played, songs that made the hit parade, guys like us we had it made, those were the days...."

LS

job29man said...

and you knew who you were then
girls were girls and men were men
Mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again....

Does anyone have a link to a clip of the "I enjoyed doing it" scene?