Friday, May 7, 2010

Now I know what it is!

Yesterday I had yet another medical procedure done. I think that GR and I are finally on the tail end of the medical problems, surely. After my March 15th, 4-hour surgery I felt good, actually even great. They wheeled me out of recovery late one afternoon and I was up the next morning walking the halls and sitting up in a chair... with an incision that ran over 20 inches around my hips. The two surgeons expected me to be in the hospital for at least 3-4 days so they were a bit shocked when on day 2 I was begging to go home. Since the doctors saw no good reason to keep me there any longer I was discharged.

I went home feeling fine but then a couple of days later I was experiencing this burning sensation in my throat. My first thought was that it was from the tube down my throat during surgery but the surgeons said "no" and they are both wonderful doctors so we had no reason not to believe them. I went to family physician and from there was sent to throat doctor. He suspected reflux but when he sent my file to my surgeon from a year ago, Dr. B suspected an ulcer sooooo... that brings me to yesterday's procedure, an endoscopy.

Yesterday Dr. B did the endoscopy and sure enough, it was more than just reflux. Dr. B saw that I was in a pre-ulcer stage, heading towards a full blown ulcer. They sent me home with orders to not only continue taking Prilosec for the next 6 months but now I also have to take Carafate Suspension for 1 month and Pepcid for 3 months. Dr. B tells us that this is treatable.

The procedure left me feeling a bit woozy yesterday but sometime during the night I was feeling like my old self again. Early this morning I was so energetic that I went out for a brisk 30 minute walk before all the rain came down. I am just glad to finally have a proper diagnosis with this so I can move on to better things.

2 comments:

Hiswildcherry47 said...

Hey Gemma,
Keep trooping, lady. Got to get to the end of all this "sickness" stuff pretty soon.
I admire you for mustering the spunk to get up and go for your morning trot ;-)
Thinking of you during your 'getting better' stage.

Mark 9:24 said...

How are you doing now Gemma?

Mark