Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Initial post-op appointments behind us!

Hello dear readers,

Today I had my first two post-op appointments with both surgeons. Word has it that I am healing nicely and on the mend. My glued-together incision wraps horizontally around three-fourths of my body so it is taking me a while to totally heal but I am getting stronger every day. For the next couple weeks I will still be dealing with my body being slightly swollen but they assure me that it will all be gone in time.

After all the medical professionals met last week over the results of GR’s surgery, 99% of them agreed that his colon cancer had only been in “stage 1” and as such, did not require any chemo. For the early detection, we are very, very thankful. Tomorrow he finally goes back to work and tomorrow I will be able to go back to driving. This past week GR has been able to do some at-home-phone-consulting while recuperating so he did not have to miss too much work. Tonight will be my first night without pain meds.

The Lenten season has flown right over our heads this year with these surgeries. Thank you for all your good thoughts and prayers for us. It has been a wild couple of months. May God continue to bless you all through the rest of Lent.

Gemma

6 comments:

bunnyhunch said...

Thanks for the update, Gemma. Sounds like you're both moving in the right direction. We'll keep you in our prayers as you continue to recover.

job29man said...

Prayers from our house too. Just keep in mind what it will be like 6 months from now. All healed up, not sore, able to work out at the gym...

Gemma said...

Yeah, well, I WAS moving in the right direction.... until Tuesday. Sunday GR got some kind of intestinal virus and is just now getting back on his feet. I didn't recognize the symptoms in me right away but I started feeling it yesterday. Now I'm dealing with it, ugh.

I can't eat anything as food ends up resulting in bad, intestinal cramping so I'm basically on a diet of yogurt and Slim-fast just so I can get nutrients in me and even then, I still get the cramping but not as bad as with real solid food.

There is no gym in my life, Job, but if I can just get myself to a a solid place of wellness.... My 19yodd is running in a 5-K race in May. Other dd and I are considering doing the 5-K walk. I know, a 3 mile walk doesn't sound like much but if you consider that I haven't been able to exercise at all because of the hernias since Fall 2008, this is big, really BIG for me.

job29man said...

I think 3 mile walks ARE significant! That's great!

Gemma said...

Yes, and I would get a t-shirt out of the deal, to boot!

For the last 1 1/2 years I've not been able to do any exercise without paying for it with excruciating pain from the hernias. Once I finish recuperating I'm looking forward to a new and active life--- walking, hiking, biking, cross-country skiing, bowling, much more golfing than what I could do last year...

Btw-- Yesterday I spoke with the nurse of one of my surgeons. The surgeon was out of town this week. When I met her Tuesday for post-op app't she was amazed at how well I was healing with this incision wrapping around 3/4's of my body. Yesterday she was telling the doc about it and he was equally amazed. I feel so blessed to be mending so well. Now to get rid of this virus, grrrrr...

Mark 9:24 said...

Thanks for the updates Gemma.
still praying for you guys!

Mark