Today I have a heavy heart. A month ago when GR had labs done with his surgery we discovered that he was slightly anemic. Our FP ordered a colonoscopy which was done yesterday. This is his second one, having had one a few years ago. The results-- GR has a small tumor at the very end of his colon, on the bottom of his right side. Doc says and I quote: "looks like an early cancer which will require surgical removal". GR is seeing the surgeon Tuesday... same surgeon who did his hernia repair a month ago.... same surgeon who will be doing my hernia repair within the month. He is an excellent doctor. The plan now is to operate on GR AGAIN asap. If the cancer is still local, that will be the end of that. If not, some chemo will be required after surgery.
GR regularly donates blood. The colon doc said-- it is likely that giving blood tipped things in our favor to make the anemia more noticeable, thus easier to see the red flag. Thank God for small favors. BTW- GR's mom developed colon cancer in her 80's so we already knew it was in the genes. Now I am trying to get my surgery on the calendar within the next month while GR needs surgery as well. We have to stagger them. Both of us cannot be having surgery simultaneously. We have to take care of each other during each of our surgeries as well as taking care of our kids in the midst of all this. Obviously, GR's surgery takes priority since it is the most life-threatening.
The colon doc seemed optimistic but I am assuming that that is his job.... to report the findings in the most optimistic way possible. We need to learn all we can about the state of GR's health. Can anyone lend some advice? I prefer to know the worse case scenario and then the probable outcome which I am sure is better, just so I can realistically deal with this and so we can keep our kids informed along the way. I am sure the surgeon will completely fill us in on Tuesday so I am just searching for answers until then.
Folks, I cannot end this without saying two things here.
1) Do not avoid checkups and doc appointments when you think or know that something is not right. GR waited 2 months before telling me he knew he had a hernia. We could have been doing all this 2 months ago. And yes, I confess that after we got home yesterday I fussed at him a bit before I told him, "I love you." I made him promise--- No more secrets about health issues. When we even suspect that something is not right, we need to bring it up immediately.
2) This is exactly why you always hear me say, "In your marriage bed and in your marriage in general, each day treat your spouse as if it will be your last day together because we are not promised our tomorrows."
As always prayers are appreciated, my friends. Thank you all!