Sunday, February 22, 2009

Ideas, suggestions?

I thought I would throw this out to see if anyone has an idea or suggestion.

Since my surgery, almost four weeks ago, I have noticed that my sleep has been off. I go to bed around the same time each night but then most mornings around 3am I am waking up and cannot get myself back to sleep. Is this typical for many people following surgery or is it just me? Each night in the hospital someone had to come into the room to check on me and they did this about every 2 hours [rolling eyes].

On work days our alarm rings at 5am. If I was waking at midnight or 2am it would be easy to have sex and then go back to sleep. Waking at 3am and staying awake makes me feel like my night ends at 3am :-(, although, I have woken GR for sex at that time on a number of mornings and that has been good but then it makes short nights for both of us.

There must be a solution in sight. Anyone? It is starting to feel like sleep deprivation.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I travel a fair amount and staying asleep is one of my biggest problems. I've found that taking Melatonin (very cheap and available at Wal-Mart, but not by the coconut oil) helps me stay asleep all night. And there's no "head in a fog" effect when you wake up.

Obviously check with your Dr. first, but it's generally considered safe.

Who am I said...

How long were you under anathesia?

I had surgery years ago where I was out for several hours, and I am thinking that there were effects for quite awhile, I just don't remember how long, but long enough it surprised me.

jm said...

I also take Melatonin. I used to have similar problems with waking up and not being able to go back to sleep. Now, with the Melatonin, no more problem.

Gemma said...

I was in surgery for 2 hours, which I guess isn't terribly long but this was my second surgery to date and I know now that it takes my body a long while to fully awaken from surgery. Then I had dry heaves for 5 days after surgery.

Melatonin, huh? I've heard that it can lower sex drives. Anyone know about this side affect?

Anonymous said...

I have that problem. I think it's just cause of the awkward timing. When in the hospital your day routine becomes about the same as your night routine...Lying around. Then with the nurses and people popping in and out...it's just no wonder. Don't take a pill if you don't have to. Will yourself to go back to bed. Read the bible. It'll settle your mind from any business and you'll fall back to sleep. Keep it quiet (no t.v or meals).

BTW I love your testimony..I'm in my late 20's and I have gotten something from your msg. Thank you.

Gemma said...

Anon,

Thanks for your advice but this is old news. It's been 6 weeks since my surgery. But I have to say-- Reading the bible would have been impossible. I was so groggy for several days after surgery that I couldn't even browse through magazines, lol. And I wasn't up to having serious conversation or listening to anyone read to me.

Glad you liked reading my story.