Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A few films GR and I enjoy watching in bed- Please help me find more like them?


Often, it's hard to relate to contemporary romance films because much of their acting in the romance department stinks; they usually lack genuine passion. But we do like contemporary romance films as long as they are done right.

GR and I do not care for romance films that include major, almost slapstick comedy. They are just dumb to us. And when we choose a film to watch, the main characters do not always have to be our age as long as the film is really good. A few examples of those that we do enjoy are the following:

*Walk the Line- Joaquin Phoenix, Reese Witherspoon
*The Notebook (one of our absolute favorites)- Ryan Gosling, Rachel McAdams, James Garner, Gena Rowlands
*Something's Gotta Give- Jack Nicholson, Diane Keaton
*As Good As It Gets- Jack Nicholson, Helen Hunt, Greg Kinnear

Some of our film preferences are because of the story line, some are because of the actors/actresses and some are both. Can anyone please help me find similar types of films that we can purchase to watch at home? And p--l--e--a--s--e, do not suggest anything starring Diane Lane or Julia Roberts. They are two people whose acting I cannot stomach. I've actually purchased DVD's of films they starred in, watched them and then threw the DVD's away.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Gemma

7 comments:

Cocotte said...

I wouldn't run out and buy any of these before first previewing (maybe try renting them from the public library?), but two movies that I find erotic/romantic are "Before Sunrise" with Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy and "Chocolat" with Juliette Binoche. I've not seen "Girl With A Pearl Earring" but the book was erotic as well.

Anonymous said...

I recommend...

Unfaithful
Untraceable
Under The Tuscan Sun
Lonesome Dove
The Perfect Storm
The Cotton Club
Streets of Fire
Must Love Dogs
Hollywoodland
Chaplin
The Outsiders
Rumble Fish
Six Pack
A Little Romance
Walk on the Moon
Murder at 1600
Judge Dredd
Jack
Knight Moves
The Big Town
Lady Beware
My Dog Skip
Streetcar Named Desire
Wild Bill
Indian Summer

Gemma said...

To cocotte and anon,

Thank you for all the film suggestions. Most of them I am not familiar with so it will be fun exploring through your lists.

I have seen "Under the Tuscan Sun" and "Must Love Dogs". Neither of them were a hit with us. Tuscan Sun had Diane Lane as a main character (blech, in my book). Although, I would love to find some erotic movies filmed in Italy. 'Dogs" was just too silly for our taste. We find that an overdose of comedy ruins the passion in a romance film.

'Lonesome Dove'? No, I'm wanting to find films with passionate male/female romance.

Anonymous said...

Lonesome Dove is very similar to Dances with Wolves, Legends of the Fall,etc - epic drama - there is always some passion/romance involved with that type of movie.

Gemma said...

Then am I confusing Lonesome Dove with some other movie? The one I'm thinking of has 2 cowboy lovers in it.

Can you tell I don't keep up with movies much?

Cocotte said...

The two cowboy lovers is "Brokeback Mountain." One of the actors, Heath Ledger, is the young man who died a few months back.

Gemma said...

Ahhh, that's the movie title I was thinking of, cocotte. Thank you for clarifying that for me.